Skip to main content

Being free from self-destruction

We have three enemies who fight constantly for our attention, they are of the world and can become a platform for the self-destructive traits, they include; the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and pride of life.  
 1 John 2:16

 From these emanates the self-destructive traits.These traits are evident;       shame, uncontrolled, thoughts, compulsions, fear, hopelessness, bitterness, insecurity.

  These are mechanics that we have to deal with as they can destroy our lives. If we let them anchor inside us, they become models of causing our hearts to walk from light and the peace of God. We must not let our hearts harbor any of them
 Romans chapter 7&8
Who will give me hope against these things that destroy me from the inside?This is a place of desperation as Apostle Paul clearly attests to this.

Be set free from these   traits
1. Remind myself every day of what Jesus did for me; that He died to set me free.
Romans 8:1-4
God does not condemn me, I have believed in Jesus.No reason to walk in shame, God has set me free from sin.
 Will power can not overcome sin on our own; God’s power brings victory over our fallen nature, that’s why Christ died for us, we simply couldn’t fight it over alone.
  Self-help does not change one from the inside; the law does not change people’s heart.
  Jesus did all that was right for us, He obeyed for our sake.
   You can’t force emotions or feelings, but you can change the way of thinking; mindset.
  Through the work of the new covenant, we’re transformed from the inside; we learn to embrace the truth.
2. Ask the Holy Spirit to give me pure thoughts.
 Romans 8:5-6
  Set the mindset that’s oriented to the Holy Spirit.
The Principle of Replacement
   Replace what I don’t want with something else; that’s of value to my interest and will. You don’t resist, you refocus the mind to new things.
Give God free access to your mind –He gives peace, let Him direct and guide your being.
The natural mind is hostile to the law of God, nor can it be. There we should learn to yield our spirits to God; it is in them that God seals into instructions for life.
Romans 8:7-8
3. Realize that I have a new ability to say NO to the sinful nature and compulsions that lead me from God’s will.
Galatians 5:16-
 I have been equipped with the power of God to walk against the will of the sinful nature
Rom 8:12,
4. Turn my thoughts to God whenever I’m afraid.
Romans 14:16
Focus on the Father, His Spirit has given the witness to cry out Abba Father
 I remember what FAMILY I belong to.
2 Timothy 1:7
We have been given the Spirit of Power, love, and self-control, not a fearful spirit.
5. Focus on the long-term, not short term.
Romans 8:17-18
We will possess the blessings of the Lord; accept to share in Christ for we will share His glory.
6. Remind me that God is good and is in control.
Romans 8:19-25
Life’s got many things broken, I have to let the goodness of the Lord  keep me
a)    The Holy Spirit prayers for me.
b)   God is working it for good
c)    God wants me to succeed
d)   God wants everything good for me

8.    Trust that God will never stop loving me.
Romans 8:38-39
Nothing can separate me from the Love of God. He has loved and made me a child in His kingdom, I should in His will and purpose for I am more than a conqueror

        Glory be unto Jesus

Compiled by
Gideon Mwange
From Rick Warren’s sermon

How to be set free from self-destruction

Comments

Your Favorite extracts

Learning from the knowledge Extracts

I am glad to inform my readers that I will consider adding other material that will be of use to you. And since this is a gospel based blog, I keep the materials within the boundaries of all that concerns Christian faith and believes. If you come across any content that you are in disagreement with, please feel free to leave a comment. I work to provide materials of quality content and be of help to every visitor to this platform. I know there is  much that clients and readers expect especially when one is under obligation, but mine is to provide quality writing with original and shared content(those from sermons and legally shareable under copywrite laws as they are not person based but are meant to benefit the society), inspired by the a conviction to share the gospel of Jesus.I see this just as the Lord Jesus instructed His disciples before He was taken up... But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me  in Jerusalem, an

THE TREASURE IS HERE

In this blog, I share pieces of sermons and extracts from various preachers around the world.Please note that the messages have general added notes. I mostly listen from their video or audio podcasts and then write down notes from them.In such a case, kindly note that I do not in any way add knowledge to the message but rather, create points whose ideologies and content is extracted from the main message. I do not preach in their sermons! I also indicate clearly the name of the Preacher and the topic or the heading of the sermons. My desire is to share the gospel and treasure extracts from Rhema word (spoken word) that comes from the hearts of Gospel ministers under the Holy Spirit's inspiration. I give the best attention for clear discernment and honest scripture dependency and reference. Note that I will share only what I can and to the extent as allowed under the Copyright laws.Be free to share and get instructed in the word. It might not be possible to indicate the Bible versi